Romanian english German Serbian Hungarian

Imagini din Cenad

Plicuri personalizate - Cenad

Plic personalizat

Cenad – Tourist spots

 
Cenad – small town in Timiș CountyCenad – small town in Timiș County
 
GPS coordinates (Town Hall): 46 08 15.46 N 20 35 02.86 E
 
The small town of Cenad, known in ancient times as Urbis Morisena, is situated on the Western part of Timiș County, on the left side of the River Mureș, at the border with Hungary. The North-Western neighbour is the village Igriș, the South-Eastern is Saravale, the Southern is the town of Sânnicolau Mare, the South-Western is Dudeștii Vechi and the Western is Beba Veche.
The locality can be found across the National Road 6, the road that passes through it on the way to the Cenad Customs, situated 8 km far from the town. Cenad is the only border crossing point to Hungary from the Timiș County.  
Human presence was mentioned on the territory of Cenad since the Neolithic, 7000 years ago.  Archaeological cultures such as Starcevo-Criș, Vinča, Tisa and Tiszapolgar, as well as archaeological discoveries from various points of the small town, are proof of the consistency of human inhabitants in that age. There were also found household objects and urns dating from the next age, the Bronze Age. Human presence in Cenad during the Roman Age is richly proved by numerous archaeological discoveries such as ceramic objects, tools, bricks from different types of buildings, all bearing the seals of Roman military units, as well as by coins issued by different Roman emperors. Later on, other discoveries confirmed the byzantine influence and the existence of a community since the 8th – 9th century, A.D. 
The Region of Banat was extremely important during the times when feudalism flourished, when duchies, ancient kingdoms and countries were formed and within the Region of Banat, Cenad was the administrative center town.
The very first Christian monastery on today's Romanian territory existed in Cenad, around 1002 and was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, being founded by Eastern monks. The very first school on the territory of today's Romania was founded in Cenad in 1030 and the teaching language was Latin.
After conquering the city and the town of Morisena, the Hungarians, lead by King Stephen, the locality's name was changed to Cenad. The Cenad Diocese is founded here, its first Bishop being the Venetian Ger(h)ard of Sagredo, sanctified in 1083. Gerard of Cenad is considered the first writer on the territory of today's Romania.
As the Ottomans conquered the Banat Region, the importance of the locality decreases and the Diocese was first moved to Szeged, then to Timișoara.
The touristic attractions in today's Cenad are The Local History Museum, the statue of Saint Gerard (placed in front of the Roman – Catholic Church), a technical open-air museum of cartages, all situated on the main road, and a nun monastery named Morisena, situated close to the Cenad entrance coming from Sânnicoulau Mare, on the left side of the National Road 6. 
 
 
Cenad - The Roman Catholic ChurchCenad - The Roman Catholic Church
 
Cenad, Timiș County
GPS Coordinates: N46 08.306 E20 35.206
 
The Roman Catholic Neogothic Church was built in 1870. The consecration day is at „Saint Martyr Gerhard”. The first Bishop of the Diocese in Cenad was an Italian Benedict monk who got killed on September the 24th 1046 in Buda. He was consecrated as Saint and Martyr (1083) after death. Gerhard’s sarcophagus is still inside the church in Cenad. Saint Gerhard founded a Theological School in Cenad, he established different parishes, and also built churches and monasteries around the rivers Mures, Tisa, and Danube.
 
 
 
 
 
Cenad – Saint Gerard's MonumentCenad – Saint Gerard's Monument
 
Cenad, Timiș County
Main Road (National Road 6), in front of the Roman-Catholic Church
GPS Coordinates: 46 08 17.40 N 20 35 11.72 E
Judging by its structure and dimensions, it is the most impressive monument in Cenad. The statue represents Saint Gerhard in natural size, gazing towards the horizon, his right hand placed on the heart and the left holding the Bishop's scepter. Besides him, there is a child with angel wings. The pedestal, with a 3.5 – 4 m hight, has a pink marble plaque placed on the main side, which writes:
HONORI S. GERHARDI EPISC. ET. MART.HOC. MONVMENTVM SVB. GLORIOSO AVGVSTI FRANCISCI PRIMI AVSTRIAE. IMPERATORIS ET. APOSTOLICI. HVNGARIAE. REGIS REGIMINE. EVICTAE. SOLI. PROPRIETATIS. PERENNI. DOCVMENTO FVTVRVM. COMES ALEXANDER NAKO. DE NAGY. SZENT. NIKLOS.
GENTILITIIS. QVOQVE. IVRI- BVS. PROVIDE PROSPECTUM. HA- BERI. CVPIENS EXSVREGERE IVSSIT.
Here is the translation in English, based on Dan Negrescu's Romanian translation:
TO HONOUR SAINT GERHARD, BISHOP AND MARTYR, THE COUNT ALEXANDRU NÁKÓ OF SÂNNICOLAU MARE ORDERED THAT THIS MONUMENT BE RAISED, WISHING THAT IT BE TAKEN INTO CLOSE SCRUTINY IN THE FUTURE, AS ACCUSTOMED BY ALL PEOPLES, AS AN UNBREAKABLE PROOF OF LAND CONQUERING BEING DEFEATED DURING THE GLORIOUS RULING OF THE EMPEROR FRANCISC THE 1ST OF AUSTRIA, THE APOSTOLIC KING OF HUNGARY.
In 1807, the Bishop Kőszeghy László raised an obelisk on the spot where Saint Gellért (Gherhard) church was believed to have existed. It is assumed that the administrator of Count Nákó Sándor's estate had it torn down. The event is believed to have taken place during or after the 1848 Revolution, when Cenad was the battle stage of the Serbians and the Hungarians. The chronicles mention a Serbian named Ivcovici (see page 105), the administrator of Count Nákó Sándor's estate in 1857. To gain the Bishop's favors, the count had Saint Gerhard's statue be raised on the obelisk's place.
 
 
Cenad – Saint Gerard’s sarcophagusCenad – Saint Gerard’s sarcophagus
 
Cenad, Timiș County 
Main Street, National Road no. 6 (DN6)
GPS coordinates: 46 08 17.40 N 20 35 11.72 E
 
The Bratislava history archives (Pozsony/Preßburg) mention the anointment of Saint Gerard as Archbishop in 1030, this moment becoming the year of the  old Cenad Diocese's birth. The founder was Saint Stephen, the first Christian king of Hungary, who would anoint Gerard, in 1030, the Bishop of the new founded Diocese. During Gerard's life, who was born in Venice, the Clerical Catholic Assembly of Cenad was formed. The first clergymen were also teachers for the young men studying in the new founded theological school, the very first one on the today’s Romanian territory. During that time, the town of Cenad had a residing Bishop, a clerical catholic assembly, a theology school, as well as two monasteries administrated by Saint Gerard. Saint Gerard would form many parishes on the territory from the Mureș River to the Tisa River and from the Danube to the Carpathians, building many churches and Christianizing a great number of ancient „heathens”.  
Saint Gerard wrote many theological works, of which only one was kept until today, namely the „ Deliberatio Gerardi Morisenae Aecclesiae Episcopi Hymnum Trium Puerorum ad Isingrimum Liberalem”. This work is nowadays found in the National Library in Munich, being partially translated into Romanian under the title „The World's Harmony”, published in 1984. 
Saint Gerard's end was tragic. On the 24th of September, in Budapest, after finishing the Mass together with the other bishops, as he returned home, Gerard was caught by rebels and thrown down from the hill found in the Hungarian capital and which today bears his name - Gellért-hegy (Saint Gerard's Mount). Gerard's body was moved in 1053 to Cenad, in his old Cathedral and placed into a simple stone sarcophagus, which exists to the day and is worshiped as an important Christian relic. In 1083 Gerard was sanctified and his body was moved to Budapest, on Gellért-hegy. Some of the remains are kept in the Saint Donat Church in Venice-Murano, Gerard's birth place and a vertebrae from Saint Gerard's body is found today on the right side of the altar in the Timișoara Catholic Dome in The Union Square.
Starting with the year 2000, Saint Gerard's sarcophagus is used as the altar of the Cenad Roman-Catholic Church.
 
 
Cenad – The Morisena MonasteryCenad – The Morisena Monastery
 
Cenad, Timiș County
GPS coordinates: 46 06 50.86 N 20 35 33.13 E
Access: National Road 6 - Timişoara–Sânnicolau Mare–Cenad, 75 km North of Timişoara. It is situated on the outskirts of Cenad and it's visible from the road.
Dedicated to the Birth of Saint John the Baptist and the Monastery's  celebration day is the 24th of June, coinciding to this holiday.
It was founded in 2003, due to the fact that around the year 1002, an eastern monks' convent existed in Cenad (the ancient Morisena), being the oldest documentary attested monastery on our country's territory. It was thought that the presence of a Christian convent on this part of the Diocese would contribute to the revival of the religious life of the community. On the 24th June 2005 the monastery was religiously inaugurated by the Bishop Lucian Lugojanul. On the same day a Mass was held to bless the church building and the summer chapel, all built on an old crop field.
 
 
Cenad – The Town MuseumCenad – The Town Museum
 
Cenad
No. 1594, the Main Street
Timiș County
GPS coordinates: 46 07 55.42 N 20 35 21.53 E
The museum was inaugurated on the 3rd of December 2005, on the celebration day of the Cultural Association “Concordia Cenad”. The building of the museum is dated back to 1890. It roofs a collection of over 200 ethnographic artifacts and historical objects owing to the local history, all donated by locals. The exhibits stand proof of the local history dating back from the Neolithic Age, until the communism. The architectonic fragments from the medieval churches built in the 11th century are one of the most valuable artifacts.
Visiting hours: Mondays to Fridays, from 8 to 12.
On request, by phoning +40-256-374.501 or +40-256-374.640, the museum can be visited outside the visiting schedule.
 
 
Cenad - The Forest ReservationCenad - The Forest Reservation
 
Cenad, Timiș County
GPS Coordinates: N46 09.176 E20 34.016
 
The Natural Reservation Cenad Forest is a protected area included in the Lunca Muresului Natural Park stretching over 310.5 ha of land. This area is covered with flooded river meadows, forests and plains situated on the left bank of Mures River. The protected area hosts a large variety of trees, predominantly oaks, ashes, willows, or poplars; the fauna is specific for damp areas.
 
 
Cenad – The Big IslandCenad – The Big Island
 
Cenad, Timiș County
GPS Coordinates: 46° 8'42.03"N  20°39'5.48"E
 
Cenad Big Island is one of the natural reservations included in Lunca Muresului National Park. It stretches over 3 ha and it is situated on the administrative territory of Cenad village. It has beed declared protected area of national interest due to its great biodiversity. The natural reservation represents an optimal habitat for many avifauna species, such as: the egret, the aigrette, the great egret, the red-throated ion, the white stork, the black stork, as well as different species od ducks and wild geese. The vegetation is specific for damp areas with many species of poplars and wollows. From a geological and geomorphological point of view, the area is characteristic for its bed of alluvial sediment and banks of clay.

 

Promovează acest site

Share

Calendar „Cenăzeanul” 2019

Calendarul „Cenăzeanul” 2019